Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Woodwork - by Victoria

My carpentry skills are put to the test. I'm sure that you realize by now that we can't afford to hire any skilled labor for repairs and construction here at the farm. Hence, my brief but action packed education in the art of wood butchery has commenced. We needed a set of stairs to Lauren's room above the foal barn. Stairs can be befuddling even to a seasoned "skill saw" worker. I've never been one to run from a new experience, so I dove in. Long story short, I did it - even including a midflight platform on a 90 dregree turn!! I was so proud I called up my father to boast. He, above all, taught me to never stop learning new skills. This week I put a paneled ceiling in the milk/medicene room and I'm still working on the trim. Given that nothing - and I mean NOTHING - in this place is square or even flat, compounded by my lack of skill - it's been a challenge from one board to the next.

I will have this place in ship shape by foal season... Come Hell or high water!!




The foal room ceiling - how beautiful!! It doesn't even look like the same room!

2 comments:

KAS said...

BRAVO! I LEARNED THE SAME WAY, TRIAL AND ERROR, LUCK AND A LOT OF HELP FROM MY DADDY! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

Last Chance said...

Thank you Kas!!!! Wait until we get the hardwood floors done in the living room.... it will be so phenomenal!